Could not perform SC method

Dear Team,

I am trying to compare the results between EWC and SC method but i could not run SC method.

i tried to change the map size, map file, and wind data as well. however, nothing works.

the message is as follows but hard to interpret.

//

Exception report produced at 2024-06-21 17:47:47

Object variable or With block variable not set raised at: 2024-06-21 17:46:12
    2024-06-21 17:46:12: Message added: Could not create a SCM data server
    2024-06-21 17:46:12: Message added: Could not begin the insertion of an SCM extreme wind climate
    2024-06-21 17:46:12: Exception raised in: WAsP Engineering: cProjectEditor:InsertingScmExtremeWindClimateBegin
    2024-06-21 17:46:12: Message added: Could not explore (or perform one of) the operations available for a selected thing
    2024-06-21 17:46:12: Exception raised in: WAsP Engineering:cOperationSet:ExploreOperations
    2024-06-21 17:46:12: Message added: The 'Create generalised extreme wind climate using SC method' operation could not be performed
    2024-06-21 17:46:12: Exception raised in: WAsP Engineering:cOperation:Invoke
    2024-06-21 17:46:12: Message added: Could not perform the action requested
    2024-06-21 17:46:12: Exception raised in: WAsP Engineering:cMainform:ProcessContextMenuToolClick
    Latest thread started in: WAsP Engineering:cMainform:pSlaveForm_ToolbarClicked

//

could you please help me out to progress?

Regards,

Gyeongil

The two most common problems with the SCM tool are 

1. The SCM server providing the long-term reference data might be down. However, I just checked and it worked OK this afternoon.
  2. If the coordinates of the reference mast or the map projection are incorrect, the SCM server might not find the data, e.g. it if the false position is in the middle of an ocean. The easiest way to check the mast location is to open a spatial view, synchronize with Google Earth (see below), and make sure that the map is displayed correctly on the virtual world. 

If these simple explanations does not apply, then please contact our technical support system via mail. The above error message might be enough for the programmer to understand the issue, but please also describe your actions just before the error message arrived. Screen dumps and a sample project file demonstrating the problem are also useful and sometimes even necessary.   

In general, it is usually better to contact the support system about specific technical problems and reserve this forum for discussions of interest to all users. 

image.png.081b37ee346a323b184a444768c6d48c.png

Edited by Morten
  • 2 weeks later...

Dear Morten,

Thanks for advices and guidances. I was hesitating to send email to the techincal team. 

however, it would be very helpful for us - End user - to make more intuitive error messages in the furture.

the positions and coordinate systems had no issues as i checked every time.

i have tried later in the evening and it worked. so my conclusion was that server went down temporarily.

BR,

Gyeongil

Hi Kwak, 

The error handling in WAsP software is implemented by try…except statements, see this site for explanation of the concept. When the computer is asked to do something impossible, it stops execution and raises an exception which the program can react to. There is also a basic message like “divide by zero”. A programmer which foresees all problems and spend sufficient time on error handling, might add comments like “Undefined hub height of Turbine no. 001”. However, most subroutines in the programs just raise a new exception and append more information about where the problem occurred. Subroutines can call each other in a long chain, so you often see a complicated message in the final report including information from all nested sub-routines. It is not particularly helpful for the end user, but it explains the fundamental error type, approximately where in the program the first exception was raised, and the last action in the user interface. Still it may not always enough to diagnose the problem, so we often ask for additional information like

• A test project file reproducing the problem
  • A description of what you were trying to do, maybe supplemented by screen dumps
  • A WAsP installation report 

You can save time if you include such information already the first time you contact WAsP support.